Sunday, August 26, 2007

Impressed and annoyed - all in a week's time!

It's been a week since I declared my good intentions to start blogging and a nice guy called Ravan (no pun intended) actually honoured me with a comment which proves this publication has a readership figure of more than one.

I haven't blogged in since then but it seems no ones missed me much.

And life has been busy. Some really interesting experiences like meeting an uncle who's decidely psychic (not pyscho) and left me totally speechless by recalling the gist of a conversation I was having the previous night! I just love these kind of things. I mean who cares about seeing little green men in their SUVs when you have family friends who can look at your palm or do a bit of mathemagic in their head and tell you that you're going to make a profit on your next car deal.

Give me supernatural stuff any day. Or scientific gaspaggorbilia (stuff that arouses gasps - you heard it first from your suburban pal!).

Like the dude who's come up with this theory that there's a 20% chance we are living in a computer simulation (he's called Nick Bostrom and he teaches at the Oxford University lest you start thinking he's a product of my imagination). I mean I actually used to wonder if I was part of a "UNIVERSE" game long before I ever saw Matrix but always thought that was my private bathroom theory. To think that someone actually built on it and even gave it a % figure. Awesome!

So the God watching all of us could just be a nose digging teenager feasting on his bar of Mars when he's not glued to the screen in front. Suddenly my respect for certain sections of society has shot up.

I just hope it's not the same guy living upstairs who my cable guy claims wants to steal my bandwidth by accessing my Wi Fi network. You wouldn't think but it's ostensbly the biggest threat in my life right now -- the enemy within (my otherwise secure apartment block)! I mean why in the name of VSNL would someone want to steal anybody's bandwidth when Internet costs the pittance that it does nowadays is beyond my imagination. But I guess it's the same people who think nothing of downloading a 3 GB oldish hindi movie on their office line when the damn thing is now available for 49 bucks in the neighborhood store.

We're not in the nineties anymore when people had to call multiple contacts to fine one measly password they could use to dial-up over a sorry li'l connection that would break every five minutes. And that kind of thing was acceptable even because Internet access cost a bomb and was monopolised by the govt. But breaking into someone's home wi-fi network in 2007. Dude get a reality check. Or is it that once a freeloader always a freeloader!

No comments: