Sunday, August 26, 2007

Musings on an extended weekend

Tuesday is Rakhi - the Indian festival of expression of love between brothers and sisters. I have decided to skip all celebrations (helps that my brothers are out of the country), take the Monday off and have a nice extended weekend doing absolutely li'l things.

I'm consciously trying not to call up anyone and do only the minimal requisite follow-up for office. I have a couple of appointments that are unavoidable but other than that this break is just about taking time out for me. And it's been a pleasure so far, considering I'm only a day and a half down as of now.

Even within this short span of time I notice a few strange developments already. The fact that I'm not talking or chatting to the usual suspects means that I have more free time on my hands to think. This is an obvious outcome but you can never be prepared for the sheer volume of time just limiting your talk time seems to make in your life. Imagine if I actually switched my mobile off.

Thoughts about organizing my closets, reading up some of the books I bought a couple of weeks back and even thinking what I want to do with my life leap out of the shadows.

I wonder what my regular days have come to -- a routine that revolves around maid minding, office grinding, compulsory (read grocery) shopping, chatting, browsing and (weekend) partying. Among all the "ings" are a lot of things that keep me busy but the positive zing is missing.

Perhaps I'm missing a boyfriend or a recent whirl of success or the high of major change. The kind of days you have to pinch yourself to believe you're living. The days I know from experience and which have only raised the bar for the rest of my life.

Well, I'm no Yelena Isinbayeva but I must try and improve my life till the point I can experience the contentment of an existence I'm largely satisfied. And while one would usually call on God at such moments I decide to excuse him for not focusing on me this weekend with all the poverty, war and (excuse me for saying this) celebrity jailbirds of this world.

I decide to improve my life myself @ one magic moment a day! Starting with a Mango feast for today. Considering we're in end-August the fact that I still have mangoes in the fridge is decidedly a pinch-worthy experience.

Overall the weekend promises to be quite fruitful (don't squirm - the pun was intended)

No comments: