Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Rudali and other movies below poverty line

Why do they make movies like Rudali? Is rural India really so violent and inhuman as they portray it to be?

After a late night TV session these questions come to my mind.

It's just maddenning how Dimple Kapadia is treated by her fellow villagers. You never see any man being sympathetic to her throughout her life which the movie revolves around. And abuses are showered on her left, right and centre as if her life depends on them.

Disgusting!

Reminds me of Lajja, the movie where just about any violent crime you could do against a woman was committed ending with the brutal murder of Rekha for a fault of her sons (falling in love with a woman above his social standing).

I know parts of rural India are dangerous but surely this is not the universal picture.

And so I hate such exaggerated versions of real India, despite all the great acting and stuff.

Besides leaving me all sad for the night, these movies do make me wonder if I am being unfair in being as demanding as I am from my life?

Is my living in this corporate suburb of Delhi an act quite sinfully luxurious for the other India? And more important - is there going to be a pay day - my own personal 9/11?

I shudder with fear. And tell myself to focus on happy things. Like the weather which is getting increasingly pleasant.

What else can I do - the time to donate my vast personal fortune to a "developmental" cause is yet to come.

No comments: