Sunday, August 10, 2008

Shopping highs and lows!

It's the silly sale season again and I'm having a blast shopping. Well at least on the days that I don't feel like blasting the sales staff.
But before the grouse, the glee factor - Van Huesen (oohhhh!!) has a fabulous 50% off on their women's range. Think wonderfully sexy office shirts, dresses, tops and even comfy spaghettis which are positively a steal at about INR 200 something. I would compete in a high heel race for it. Now why don't they have these prices on for most of the year is a mystery to me but never mind. For Van Huesen this 50% seems to be a first and I've already made three trips to their shop with much success. As they say for McDonald's "I'm lovin it!"
Wills Lifestyle has a sale too (does anyone shop with them when they don't have a sale?) but I didn't pick up something this time. There was nothing new to pick...strange!! Plus when I wen they had a stupid deal where you had to buy worth INR 3,500 to get the same amount of shopping free. And I only liked about 1 top. They have this typical knitted see through number (and keep adding more of it every season) but I'm kinda done with wearing that stuff to work.
Anyway at least the guy in the store gave me a nice smile and wished me good afternoon. Plus they have excellent customer service (one of the best in Indian retail) so I know I'll be back next time.
Talking of customer service WLS is definitely an exception the norm is more like Koutons in Mega Mall which is organised like some 60's saree shop. Anyway, they have a nice 50 +40 discount running on the women's range and I thought a couple of tops were kinda cool. But barely had I touched one of the t-shirts in the shelf then a man screamed from behind "Sabina!". The counter girl turned back and said "Ma'am all our products are on display"! It was a synonym for "Lay Off" and that's precisely what I did by walking out of the shop!!!
Why do Indian stores get it so wrong. You step into a shop and people run up to you (like you're Aishwarya Rai signing autographs). Always it is the same pesky question to the effect "What I'm looking for?" Do most people go into a store with a clear agenda to the effect "I want a yellow T-shirt with blue stripes, size 12 please". The behaviour of the sales staff often suggests so. In that case I can understand I am an exception. Still, I so feel like telling them "I'm looking for clothes!!! Are you selling music albums or what?!!!"
I wish they would just let the customer browse and pick at their own leisure. And some of us do take more time to decide if we like a certain pink. Your sales flunky piercing from the back does not add any momentum to this process.
I always ask for help when I need the smaller size and to me it's enough that someone is handy (best at an arm and leg's distance so I can call out). Believe me I do appreciate the support. And I am thanful you invested in helpful, cooperative staff (not the bored, flunkeys of the para above). So please can you get the little annoyances that you no doubt feel are courtesies out of the way!!
Gotta go now - for some more weekend retail therapy. The irritating attendant at Koutons put me off for yesterday but as they say you can't keep a true shopper down (not for long anyway!)...
Cheers to SALE, it's the one four letter word I LOVE.

No comments: